Wednesday 30 December 2009

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you... Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." -- John 14:27










The Prophet (Prorok)

Burdened by my soul's thirst

I dragged myself through a dreadful waste to

a crossroad where, six-winged, a seraph touched

my open eyes with dream-light fingers -

and they opened to prophecy like a startled eagle.

Again it touched, my ears, and they were filled

with ringings and roars: I heard heaven's shuddering,

the flight of angels in the rocky heights;

heard monsters pressing through the sea-deep,

heard the vine quickening in the valley.

Over my mouth it bent,

tore out my tongue so false, so prone to gossip

and deceit, and with its bloody right

implanted in my lifeless mouth

the serpent's knowing tongue.

At last with a sword it clove my chest,

plucked the faint heart out and thrust

a flaming coal into my open breast.

Like carrion flesh I lay in that waste

until God's own voice called out:

"Rise up now, prophet!

See this all, and understand!

Be filled with My Will, and so

Bear across the land and sea

Words to light again the fire

In every human heart!"

A. S. Pushkin, 1826

Пророк

Духовной жаждою томим,
В пустыне мрачной я влачился, -
И шестикрылый серафим
На перепутье мне явился.
Перстами легкими как сон
Моих зениц коснулся он.
Отверзлись вещие зеницы,
Как у испуганной орлицы.
Моих ушей коснулся он, -
И их наполнил шум и звон:
И внял я неба содроганье,
И горний ангелов полет,
И гад морских подводный ход,
И дольней лозы прозябанье.
И он к устам моим приник,
И вырвал грешный мой язык,
И празднословный и лукавый,
И жало мудрыя змеи
В уста замершие мои
Вложил десницею кровавой.
И он мне грудь рассек мечом,
И сердце трепетное вынул,
И угль, пылающий огнем,
Во грудь отверстую водвинул.
Как труп в пустыне я лежал,
И бога глас ко мне воззвал:
"Восстань, пророк, и виждь, и внемли,
Исполнись волею моей,
И, обходя моря и земли,
Глаголом жги сердца людей".


Photo: Восход двойного солнца (Sunrise dual sun) by Salomeya
http://www.photosight.ru/users/38365/

No comments: